Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ot- 3rd week into new job...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wrxgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    876
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just need to vent a bit.. as some of you know I recently switched from my floor nursing job and took a new job as an RN in the operating room. This is only the middle of my third week and I am still feeling overwhelmed. Each person that trains me in does things a tad differently, what their priorities are for this and that, whats "right" for them and "wrong".. etc . I feel like I am in kindergarten all over again! All I am hearing is " you messed this prep all up, get out of the way please ", you should be doing this right now instead of that, you need to go here, you need to do this now, you should have done that first, etc. Its very stressful because certain people are way more picky than others and their teaching styles vary so much! Some talk to me in a way that makes me feel like a little child that doesnt do anything right, in a weird tone of voice, and then after things get settled they are all nice as pie to me, etc. I know its a stress thing, but still. With all the different machines, instruments, supplies, set ups, preps, medications, etc that I need to learn I am feeling very overwhelmed! I went from training people in, to being the one being trained in and it's been somewhat of a hard transition for me. Also, 12 days until we are closing on our house and that is adding just a little bit of stress. I am excited and nervous about that also!
    I just wanted to vent a bit!
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ October 18, 2006 05:22 PM: Message edited by: wrx-gal ]</font></font>

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 18, 2006 05:22 PM: Message edited by: wrx-gal ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mandasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2003
    Posts
    326
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand your feeling frustrated, but I think you are being too hard on yourself. There's no way anyone could expect you to be completely trained in less than 3 weeks. I'm sure that you co-workers aren't meaning to come off sounding dismissive or condescending-OR is a very fast paced, high stress area, and most surgeons are short-tempered perfectionists. It also hasn't helped that they haven't given you any consistency in your training. Hang in there-6 months from now you will know the department backwards and forwards, and you will be training the new kid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Moving to a new home and starting a new job are a stressful combination. Just take one day at a time. I agree with Mandasmom that you should be a little easier on yourself. 3 weeks is way too early to feel totally trained. Hang in there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member vew-tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Change always stresses me out. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure there is a huge learning curve. Hang in there.

  5. #5
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    Stress, yes! But like others are saying, if you stay positive and know that you will put it all together with good results than it won't be as stressful. Saying a prayer that you will get renewed energy for your new job. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/girl_hug.gif[/img] Hugs-

  6. #6
    Inactive Member EmilyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2004
    Posts
    174
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I feel your pain about the different ways of training. Actually, that's why I finally quit my job as an underwriting tech at an insurance company. The underwriter I worked with mostly didn't like how I did things & I was in the Dept FIRST! My way wasn't wrong, just different. To me, that is OK. You can ask 3 people the same question & get 3 different answers; none will be wrong, just different. I didn't like to write memos her way because I wasn't comfortable with her grammar.

    So, is it possible for you to say that so&so said to set the tray up "this way" or "I was told to set it up this way"? I believe you most certainly should speak up & say something about all the different ways you've been shown how to do things. Isn't there a "head nurse" in charge of it all? Hang in there, too; soon you'll be in the swing of things since it's only been a few weeks.

    Congrats on your choice of career too; nurses are going to be in short supply soon.

    How are you liking the area?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member kikilives's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    312
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hope things get more comfortable for you real soon. I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts! I always feel like I could work just about anywhere if the people I work with are great to work with. If not, even my dream job wouldn't be any fun. Hopefully you will be one of those people to put the next person that coems in at ease!

    Good Luck, with both the house and job,
    [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img] Kristin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •